View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
A common misconception. In fact, the BBC does not receive any tax money. It is funded by a licence fee (payable by TV viewers) and the profit it makes on its commercial activities. The difference between a tax and a licence fee is that the former is mandatory, the latter is not.
The license fee is a tax on everyone who has a TV. We're getting into semantics, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
They have as much incentive to make a profit as any business. The difference is that the profit is not distributed to share-holders, but is used to finance its public service broadcasting obligations.
Again, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If the BBC did have the same profit motive, then they would have 20+ episodes in a season (like US networks) instead of 6, 8, or 10.

BTW, that's one thing I love about your tv shows. There are shows being made in the UK that would never have been made in the US. Jekyll had only 6 episodes. Life on Mars stopped at (I think) 16.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote