View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo, six years on

I bought by Glo soon after it first became available in New Zealand, it is six years old now, I've used it almost every day since new.

The battery capacity has declined steadily in that time, but still holds a useful charge. I now get about 25 hours reading per charge compared to about 45-50 hours when it was new.

Two other minor hardware issues: after three years the frontlight developed an occasional shimmer, it happens about once a month but stops if I briefly turn the brightness setting up to maximum; and after four years a small (1mm high) bright spot developed at the extreme bottom edge of the screen. Neither is an impediment to reading, and neither seems to be getting any worse since first developing.

I don't have a sleep cover so the power slider gets a lot of use, and the USB port probably gets more use than is typical, but neither is showing any sign of wear yet. I still use the original USB cable that came with the device.

Overall it has been an extremely reliable device, and has let me read a lot of good books the way I want to read them. I'll try to replace the battery when it finally dies rather than get a new model.

How are other Glos holding up?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote