View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
The review I read thought it was unnecessary. I disagree. My father had macular degeneration. He couldn't read things like microwave keys, elevator keys, his clock, the CD player and CD labels. I wish he had had Alexa while he was alive. Being able to chose and play music verbally, ask the time and date, and do simple things like use the microwave verbally would have been wonderful.
Also, there are the recipes: most microwaves come with settings for common functions or recipes. With the AmazonBasics microwave, you just tell it what to do.
"Defrost 3 pound chicken. "
"Cook three frozen corn dogs. "
"Cook Stouffers Lasagna, 8 ounce size."
You can bet most microwaveable food vendors will add skills for their products.

The key here is that Alexa doesn't just power up the oven but it also controls the power setting and timer. Complex recipes that require multiple power settings and waiting periods become one-command functions. More, the skills can do the math for the user so recipe skills will automatically scale with the amount of food.

They're going with a small, entry level oven, leaving room for partners to build more complex models with, say temperature probes.

As the review above said, the AmazonBasics oven is just a demonstrator.
More gadgets will follow.

Somewhere along the way we'll get Rosie or HandyAndy or both.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote