View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
DuoCore
DuoCore began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Time to make a choice...

Hi MobileRead,

Well, you guys are the world's best resource for finding out everything there is to know about e-book readers. I'm sure that you've all heard my questions before but I can't find them >< so after a bit of searching I decided to just go ahead and make a post.

I'm looking for the device that would work best for me. You guys are choosing my Christmas present so please!

What I need in a device:

I am a Help Desk technician. I'm in the process of studying various certification materials and other items that I'd really prefer to have in e-book form so that I can carry an e-book reader around with me instead of about 60 lbs of study books (if you've ever held 2+ certification books at a time, you know what I mean.)

Most of these are plain text, have no pictures, and all came with pdf format versions of the books.

What my real question is - what ebook reader handles converted ebooks the best? I know that most devices support PDF natively now, but from what I have been able to understand is that once they are on the device they are slow, pages require sideways scrolling and the such. I'd be converting e-books via Calibre and I'm not sure what that does but from my understanding it does make the process a 'little' better?

And if pdfs are converted to whatever the native format of the ebook reader is, does it keep all of the native features such as searching, text to speech and the such, or do I lose all of that?

I have no intentions on buying any e-books from any of the stores specifically and the device will mainly be used to store pdfs and documents that I already currently own.

To sum up;

TL;DR -
Which ebook reader handles converted via Calibre pdfs the best while keeping all their features and under $200.

Thanks!!
DuoCore is offline   Reply With Quote