View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Free! With a Little Help by Cory Doctorow (ebook + audiobook)

With a Little Help is a new short story collection by Cory Doctorow, who you probably know already. If you don't he writes sci-fi/fantasy/nerdtastic books, and they're all available for free download at his site.

This one's no exception. Here's the summary (of a sort):
Quote:
With a Little Help is my first serious experiment in self-publishing. Iíve published many novels, short story collections, books of essays and so on with publishers, and itís all been very good and satisfying and educational and so on, but it seems like itís time to try something new.

You see, Iíve always released my work under open licenses from the Creative Commons project, so that my readers could share and remix my works. A good number of these readers wanted to know why I didnít distribute the physical book as well, and see what a writer working on his own could do.

So here we have it. With a Little Help, consists of 12 stories, all reprints except for ďEpoch,Ē which was commissioned by the Ubuntu projectĎs Mark Shuttleworth for $10,000 (this being the most expensive option for buying the book ó donít worry, there are cheaper editions).
You can find more info and download links here. Or here if you just want to go directly to the ebook. So far it's available in PDF, .html, .txt, ePub, .odt, and .sst.

You can also download the audiobook, read by Neil Gaiman, Mur Lafferty, Wil Wheaton, Leo Laporte, Emily Hurson, Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Hugh AD Spencer, Mary Robinette Kowal, JC Hutchins, Roy Trumbull, Jonathan Coulton, Spider Robinson, Jesse Brown, and Russell Galen, for free here!

birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote