View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
But it was, essentially, a lie, and intellectually dishonest. It WASN'T "Starship Troopers", it was an entirely different story that happened to have the same name. The tickets to that movie were sold under false pretenses.
Like I said, I felt exactly the same way about the awful I, Robot and I Am Legend.

As for the answer to your question on why they release unrelated movies under the names of famous books, the answer is name recognition.

In the case of Starship Troopers, it was originally a script called Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine. Then they bought the rights to Starship Troopers.

Paul Verhoeven was uncomfortable with the book as he felt it was pro-fascist and he grew up in occupied Netherlands during World War II. That's why the film is a satire.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote