View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
MacBook Air, huh. Hmm.

On the Apple site, comparing 13 inch MacBook Air with 13 inch MacBook Pro is useful. I'm not convinced, but I'm old-fashioned, as well as a possibly biased MacBookPro person. I don't necessarily trust the Air's flash drive which has significantly smaller storage capacity even at upgrade to 256GB compared to 750 GB serial ATA. Extra speed of Solid State Drive in a Pro might be nice, but it's fine with just cheaper (and more storage) serial ATA drive. Air is an i5 and with superdrive (dvd/cd reader) added is $1678 at Apple Store US, while Pro with i7, superdrive, and more ports is $1499. Pro is also expandible from 4GB to to 8GB DDR3 SDRAM for extra $200, while the Air currently is limited to 4GB DDR3 SDRAM.

For outdoor use or carting around a lot, the Pro seems more rugged and sturdy.

How important is the weight difference of 0.69 kg, against some of the advantages of the Pro vs the Air?
When you are actually using a laptop on your lap, 0.69 kg matters a great deal. Not to mention lugging it with you all day long around campus rather than to and from somewhere on a commute. As mentioned, the screen is fantastic and it's super fast. I'm not sure what a student needs with 750 GB of storage, with all the Cloud storage around these days 250GB should be plenty for ordinary use, but if that's a concern then go with the Pro.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote