View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I have heard of people removing the DRM from their own purchased books in order to create a backup or to be able to read the book on multiple ereaders.

I want to know if this is even legal. My question is in the context of wanting to have a back up copy for myself or for being able to read a B&N nookbook on a Sony ereader etc.
First I Am Not A Lawyer, if you want a real legal opinion you need to ask someone who is.

That said, my understanding is that the only exception to the DMCA for literary works is "... if all ebook editions prevent enabling the book’s read-aloud function or the rendering of the text into a disabled-accessible format."

So short answer, it is not legal.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote