View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I have mostly stayed away from .lit since you have to use Internet Explorer to DL them and that just makes me crazy because I use Mozilla and always forget that I have to switch to IE. That said, I have just recently (with input from WallCraft) started using the OI firmware from the SD card instead of flashing it.

One problem with that is I've lost the EZ Reader firmware - no where to DL it. I do have the Jinke firmware loaded as the main firmware just to handle those formats (like epub) that OI doesn't handle.

Almost all of my ebooks (without DRM) are converted back to Mobipocket. I mostly like the way that OI handles them. I did have one ebook that had some occasional spurious text inserted (mostly at the end of paragraphs). The same file, loaded on my Palm TX was clean. I never found out why the EZ Reader with OI was like that. Bottom line is I started experimenting with the FB2 format and also updated my OI so that I now have CoolReader as well as the FBReader SW on it. I don't think either FBReader or CoolReader can read .lit files. So you may need to convert to PRC, HTML, FB2 or RTF. ti use OI. Look at their (OI's) method of running OI from an SD card (see below) so you can keep your EZ Reader firmware intact. Or check out their site at www.openinkpot.org. You can put OI on the same SD card your books are on - that's what I did. The instructions are not clear which file to DL. It is oi-hanlin-v3all-live-0.1.zip It unzips to a .exe.fb file. Just select it from the EZ Reader menu. To go back to the EZ Reader firmware, just reboot the reader & it will automatically boot up with the Astak firmware.

Hope this helps.

"OI-on-SD (live)"

This method boots OpenInkpot from the original firmware. All changes are saved in the file on SD card. This is recommended for the users who want to try OpenInkpot or still have to use original firmware for something. This method has one obvious limitation: you can't remove SD card while OpenInkpot is running from it.

1. Download the firmware file (single file for both 64mb and 512mb versions).
2. Unpack it to the root directory of SD card (keep the openinkpot directory).
3. Insert SD card and run openinkpot/boot-OI-v3.exe file.

All changes made during the session (history of files, current position in directory) will be saved in root.fs file in openinkpot directory. You can use the same image on different V3 devices.

Thanks Slayda, I'll definitely look into it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote