View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
(Do keep in mind however that you can run Ubuntu from a live CD or in a virtual box if you're so enamored of your precious Windows....)
Am contemplating getting a Linux CD. I am not "enamored" of Windows so much as "used to it, and stuck with it." I've got software that I'm *very* practiced with, that I'm told doesn't translate well, or at all. I'm not thrilled with Windows, but I very much like the Office 03 Suite, Adobe CS, FineReader, Pixedit, and my double-handful of tiny programs nobody's ever heard of that make my conversion projects easier. And I'm sure all those tiny programs have (better) Unix-ish versions... but I'd have to find them, and figure out how to use them.

Switching to Unix of any sort would mean learning a whole new OS *and* a whole new set of programs, from scratch. It's on the list of things I'd like to do if I ever have six months when I won't mind the frustration of not being able to do what I *know* the computer is supposed to do. (It's slightly above "learn Dvorak keyboard" on my personal list of projects. And "learn perl" is right behind "learn Sindarin" on my list of language skills to acquire.)

I've wanted to switch to Linux since, oh, just before Win-NT came out? I'm just not geek enough to manage it on my own, and the geekfriend who introduced me to Unix went off to Colorado to attend grad school. (Any real switch, as opposed to playing with a bootable disc, is probably waiting for a good friend who can visit my house at least twice a week, often on short notice, to remind me how to do complex procedures like "move files from one place to another" and "play this movie so it fills up the screen.")
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote