View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #126
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It brings up an interesting question: Has this changed anyone's reading habits?

There are certainly any number of "classic" works I've always meant to read, but money to buy them and time to read them have generally been in too short a supply. With ebook reading devices and good quality electronic copies of public domain texts widely available, the second problem largely goes away, and the first problem is lessened. With a reading device that goes with me anywhere, I can open a classic and read whenever I have a few spare minutes, like in transit on a subway. (I can do that with a pbook, too, but there are limits to what I can/want to carry when out.)

I'm certainly reading a lot more stuff I wouldn't have before ebooks, though the "classics" tend to be non-fiction - history, philosophy, essays and the like. I haven't quite summoned up the energy and desire to read War and Peace (and have no idea how good the PD translations are.)

What has been the experience of others?
______
Dennis
Even though this is basically off topic, I gotta say "Yes", it really changed my reading habbits - in 2 different ways.

First of all: when my wife and I go to the next biggest town for shopping, we take the train. In the past, I used my HDD mp3 player (not an ipod) to listen to my music while we are on the train. But since I got my Bebook, whenever we get on a train, I read ebooks. I also read a lot in the past, but the size and the weight of paper books always disturbed me ....

And second: in the past, I never read any classics. But now they are so easy available through Gutenberg and other pages. In the past I never thought about reading old classic books like "Heidi", "Alice in Wonderland" and all the books written by Karl May ... there are so many classic ebooks that I want to read, I am sure that I wont have to buy a book within the next few years ...
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote