View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Kindl3
Kindl3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You need to install the font hack that Bassam mentioned.
I'm a newbie with kindle hacks (the most i've been able to do is jailbreak it) so you'll have to bear with me.

Quote:
But only in the Internet Browser.
I can read pdfs in arabic, even if they're text based (not scanned images, but real arabic text [right to left in the entire book]).

If that's the case, do i still need to install the font hack on the kindle 3? If so, are there any links on what i need to do step by step?

Quote:
You could theoretically reverse the dictionary, however, the Kindle 3 does not support dictionary lookup for non-Latin alphabet based languages.
I.e. you'd probably have to convert the Arabic lookup string to the Arabic Chat Alphabet or another transliteration system.
Yeah i'll be willing to do the arabic chat alphabet transliteration, what procedure would i need to implement to make the kindle recognise the arabic transliteration into arabic?

Quote:
If you have a Windows system, you could download the old Mobipocket Reader, which offers dictionary lookup for Arabic and many other languages.
Looks interesting, is that a file made which is downloadable (from where?) and workable on kindle 3 if i transfer it to 'documents' folder? Just like the original dictionary file Bassam uploaded?

Quote:
BTW, the quality of the entries in the free dictionary that Bassam used is very poor. For Arabic-English, I'd recommend converting the data file of the Buckwalter Morphological Analyzer, which contains definitions for about 30000 entries.
One such data file can be found here
, unfortunately the Arabic text is encoded in the Buckwalter transliteration, which is a major PITA. For example, {iqotiSAdiy~ = اِقْتِصَادِيّ
I agree, that dictionary was too simple.

How can I convert the data you've given me to suitable kindle 3 format? Is there any basic step-by-step method for someone new in this field?

Many thanks in advance. Look forward to your reply.

Last edited by Kindl3; 05-03-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Kindl3 is offline   Reply With Quote