View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #11
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
This does not have to do with the KO2 specifically, but seeing as it's being discussed here - I know the device needs to be in sleep mode for the books to be processed, but does it also need to be charging?

I had a very vague idea of the Kindle indexing process before a few days ago (I own a PW3 but don't use it much, 95% of my library is in my Glo HD), when I read something similar to the post above in one of the new Oasis' threads. I'd decided to send a portion of my library (400 books, give or take) to my PW3 a couple of weeks ago as I thought it would be reasonable to do so in case I couldn't use my Kobo for some reason, and when I found out about this indexing thing I searched for the random string as advised, and found out that none of the books I'd loaded weeks before had been indexed. The PW3 had been in sleep mode for the vast majority of that time, excluding the minutes I took for adding the new books to collections etc. (where the device *did* seem to be less reactive than usual...). When I connected the PW to the charger and put it to sleep, I noticed it started indexing books, and finished some hours later.
This is a bummer, to be honest. I don't mean to start a Kobo/Kindle comparison as I know both devices have their own good and bad sides, but I don't understand why this resource-heavy and time-consuming process has to be mostly hidden from the user when it noticeably impacts the device's performance and battery life...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote