View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #52
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Hmmm... I believe the NCX file is not compulsory. The OPF file has no information about chapter headings, it's just filenames. It's also not compulsory to have multiple files, one for each chapter (although it may be needed for mobile readers). And if you want to change just the look of the chapter headings, you only have to modify the CSS file

But you're right, it would be nice to have a tool to semi-automatically create OPF (at least manifest and spine) and NCX files.
I just searched randomly on the web for an EPUB, and found Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from ePubBooks.com.

61 files in 4 subdirectories inside a zip file. (46 chapters, 2 parts, footnotes, title, ncx, opf, etc.) Only one image, and that's the ePubBooks.com logo. All this, and not even a cover!

What's the simplest way to structure an EPUB? Whatever it is, why don't folks do that more?

Back to my current simple (ha!) work...

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote