View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #128
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
Some don't want to accept cookies for any reason. I understand this, too. I think it's possible, though, to use an affiliate link (thereby crediting them for the original sale thru the affiliate tag), and decline cookies at the same time (thereby avoiding crediting them for any tag-on sales if you object to that), but I'm not positive of this. I feel pretty certain that the amount of information you give up to Amazon by accepting those cookies is considerably less than the amount you give up to Amazon during the purchase of anything you actually buy (or accept for free, or by checking a Kindle book out from the library), and that information is much more likely to be used for marketing purposes than the cookie is.
One relatively painless process is to only buy free book direct from the Kindle (well, if typing on your Kindle is painless - not so much on the touch screens or the bottom line unit).

Another is to keep open two browsers - use one to read the blogs, then cut/paste to other (which never opens affiliate tags) to buy free books. Or, use that one for Amazon only and clear tags regularly (quick and mostly painless if only need to log back into amazon).

For those thinking they are giving the affiliate info - the only info we get is from amazon, via aggregated reporting. They don't share any customer info, order info or specific sales data back to affiliates. Unless the affiliate has practically no sales and tracks you on their website, they'd never be able to correlate visitor to sales or clicks. It does give Amazon some extra info to use an affiliate link (or they would not be able to track back the earnings), but other than the session cookie, there are many cookies amazon places and you must accept them or you can't buy there.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote