Thread: ebook survey
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
RESULTS from 60 responses:
1. Do you believe all electronic books should be available without DRM?
88.1% Yes, 11.9% No (1 didn't answer)

2. Do you believe all ebooks should have a standardised format (i.e. all ebooks would work on all devices)?
93.3% Yes

3. What do you think is a reasonable price for an electronic book (assuming it is copyrighted)?

Same as paper book - 16.7%
Slightly cheaper than paper book - 36.7
Considerably cheaper than paper book - 46.7
Free - 0%

4. Do you consider copying of copyrighted media for the purpose of transferring copies to other people against the wishes of the copyright holder to be immoral?
72.9% Yes
27.1% No

5. Given a choice would you buy ebooks supported by advertisements if they were considerably cheaper than current prices?
28.3% Yes
71.7% No

6. Have you ever breached copyright by downloading a copy of a book or any other digital media from a website distributing the media without the consent of the copyright holder?
66.1% Yes
33.9% No

7. Which of the following reasons do you feel are justify breaching copyright by downloading digital media?
The media is not available without DRM - 27.6%
The media is not available in electronic format - 53.4%
The price charged for electronic formats is too high - 25.9%
Copyright law is immoral - 6.9%
I need my money for other things - 5.2%
A digital copy doesn't negatively affect the copyright holder - e.g. the original is not destroyed - 5.2%
Other (enter below)* - 25.9%
None of the above - 24.1%

*too many to list, but mostly format shifting (either from DRMed files or from paper copies) and geographical/language type restrictions. Low quality and one answer of 'no justification but I do it anyway' ).

8. What devices do you / do you intend to read ebooks on?

Dedicated reader (e.g. Kindle) - 93.3%
Desktop computer - 16.7%
Laptop/notebook/netbook computer - 26.7%
Phone (e.g. Windows Mobile, iPhone) - 23.3%
PDA (other than Windows Mobile Professional phones) - 20.0%
Other devices (enter below) - 6.7%

others: MP3 players, UMPCs, WinCE devices

9. How would your ebook spending habits change if all ebooks were sold without DRM?
My ebook spending habits would not change. - 21.7%
I would buy fewer ebooks. - 0%
I would buy more ebooks - 78.3%

10. Which of the following issues do you feel affect your ability to buy the ebooks you want?
Geographical restrictions - 60%
Digital rights management - 73.3%
Proprietary file formats - 75%
Computer/ebook reader/software compatibility issues - 35%
Other (enter below) - 20%
other reasons: exclusive formats, titles not available, price
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote