View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
sbrwake
sbrwake began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket
Unhappy My images are disappearing on small screen devices

I am fairly new at this but previously had no problems. I have a client who--strangely enough--made all his images in MS Word's drawing tools. Bad enough there as I had to manually pull all bits and pieces along with out-of-the-box captioning out and create gif images for him.

In my first conversion from MS Word(a testing document) it worked on the Mobi PC reader, the emulator and my Pocket PC although the gifs looked awful so I started over, using Snagit to catch higher res snapshot gifs. Not so good ... did the same thing with Jpegs ... still blah ... did pngs all resized to less than 63k ... much better but when I converted the Word file that now had the embedded pngs, the images would come up in the Mobi PC reader but would not appear on the smaller screen items. I then reran test docs w/gifs & jpgs of differing sizes and resolutions but still ... good on the PC reader, nothing on the small screens.

I cleared out all my associated images, even scraped the template and all previously created mobi files using the same image names and put the less than 63k images into a testing Word file. Converted ... now I some images, others are heavily compressed/pixilated, most don't show up at all in the small screens ... everything looks great on the PC reader though. I even dug out the original MS Word test file that did work on everything, ran it through the conversion after removing all publications again and it was doing the same thing, mostly missing images in small screens.

I am stumped. Is it the Word drawings or did I irretrievably screw something up along the way? I tried going into the html to replace but it looked like I'd be replacing them with the exact same images again. And I'm burned out on it.

Any ideas?

I'd be very grateful for any ideas! Thanks.
sbrwake is offline   Reply With Quote