View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #315
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I thought the MS Wedge Mouse was outrageously expensive. Do you have any use for it when you are on a touch screen? I find the screen becomes "scratched" (i.e. marks in the dust after the S-pen) when using it with a stylus, but it isn't anything that bothers me when the screen is on, only off.
Do you get any heat from the Surface Pro? If there is heat and fan noise I might as well lug one of my laptops around.
With € 60, the MS Wedge Mouse isn't on the cheap side.
But totally worth it. Extremely small, less than 3 fingers wide and ca. 4cm deep.
Perfect to use with the tips of your fingers.

I use it heavily (in the 5 days I have it now).
I'm using the Surface RT in 2 modes:
ca. 80% of my time in tablet mode. Then I barely use the mouse or keyboard, mainly the touchscreen and 90% of my time in Metro mode.
The rest of my time I spend in desktop mode. Then mouse and keyboard are extremely helpful. Without those, it would be rather painful. I wouldn't type in Word or Excel with the onscreen keyboard. And I prefer using the menus via mouse instead of touchscreen.
And the great thing about Surface: You take the keyboard with you anyway because of the protection it's adding when traveling.
And the Wedge mouse is tiny enough to put in your shirt or suit pocket.

I haven't seen any Surface Pro yet.
Reviews re. fan noise range from "I didn't hear the fan at all" to "it was as annoying as a vacuum cleaner on my desk".
I've bought the Sony Duo 11 and gave it back because of the fan noise. I can live with fan noise on my MacBook Air, when doing heavy file management or something like that. But I don't want to have fan noise on a tablet when doing basic tasks such as web browsing or reading/writing emails.
I've checked out the Sony Libretto U920T in German Media Markt. I didn't hear the fan due to the noise level in the Markt. But I could feel (!!!) the vibration of the fan (or what else might vibrate in a Hybrid?) on the backside.
So I fear, all those i3/i5/i7 none-Atom units have some kind of fan noise.
I still tend towards Surface Pro. Attaching the pen/stylus to the magnetic port for charging - genius! Using the same cover as on my Surface RT - great!
But I think about Atom units as well. Weaker processor, but no fan noise. Dell Latitude 10 seems a worthy candidate for example.
Simply put: I think, the Windows 8 Hybrids and Ultrabooks are great in Notebook mode. But as a tablet, I'm not so sure yet.
Still: I'm glad, Microsoft brought such great innovation to the somewhat stagnating tablet market.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote