View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Help please with dropcap/font issue

I'm having a problem with a commercial epub file that's formatted with embedded fonts and a dropped cap at the start of every chapter. Neither is showing up on my Touch, which is running the latest firmware with no hacks or customisations, and I can't figure out why.

Because I'm trying to learn HTML/CSS formatting for epub (and also because I want it to work!), I'd be grateful if anyone has any insight into why this file won't display as designed on my KT.

It works fine on my Win7 PC in both ADE and the latest version of Sigil. But on my KT, I can't get the embedded fonts to show up, no matter what font setting I choose (even after I copied the fonts in question into a fonts folder on the KT), and the dropped cap shows up with the spacing as dictated in the CSS, but the cap itself appears unbolded and the same size as the regular body text.

I've attached a drastically cut-down copy of the book in question, with the fonts and CSS included, just the opening page of the first chapter that uses a dropped cap, and all but the necessary graphics removed. I'd be grateful for any observations people can make as to why this isn't working on my Kobo.

Thanks!

(p.s. Not relevant to my enquiry, but:
The book in question is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer, a first-hand account of a terrible day in May 1996, when disaster descended onto four separate expedition teams at or near the summit of Mount Everest, killing a dozen climbers. Tragic story, but I thoroughly recommend it for a gripping real-life read and a cautionary tale on the perils of hubris and taking Nature for granted.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dropcap sample.epub (1.52 MB, 157 views)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote