View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm hardly an "apple fanboy," but I think Scotty's assessment of the Newton vs. the iLiad for notetaking was dead-on. This was a tool designed to do what the iLiad should have done. I like my iLiad tons, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it (I bought it used). Yes, it's getting better all the time, but for note-taking, the Newton still has it beat. Which is fairly embarrassing, considering how much expense and energy consumption is due to the iLiad's wacom digitizer.

Unfortunately, klark also wants to read PDFs, and I don't believe there is a PDF reader for the Newton. One would have to convert PDFs to another format, which can be done (even for non-text PDFs, if one wants to use OCR software), but it's a pain.

I haven't tried a UMPC yet. I really don't like Windows, and there are, unfortunately, no HWR programs for Linux yet. If someone releases a HWR/sketch recognition package for Linux, Nokia will probably get my money.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote