View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post
Is this actually possible? This is the hypothetical timer I was talking about.

Amazon may measure the time I spend looking at a page on a website, but this isn't the same thing as looking at a page in a book on my laptop.
It is absolutely possible and they almost definitely do it. For their e-ink devices, they are recording the time since the last tap to decide if the device should go to sleep. Extending that and recording the time between taps to turn the page would be easy. It is likely they aren't actually reporting the time spent on each page, but an average time, or a number of page turns and duration for a reading session. Or maybe a simple count of the number of pages displayed for long enough to be counted as "read". But, as theducks said, we don't really know what information Amazon is syncing. Or for that matter what the other ereader companies or apps sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote