View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
ExDC
ExDC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch D01200, WiFi+3G
Question "Unlocked" K5 (WiFi+3G) won't connect to 3G

New to the forum, feeling sheepish but determined to make lemonade out of lemons:
My K5/KT was stolen, and I decided to replace it - so I bought one on eBay. Advertised as WiFi+3G, but "unlocked 3G" - that didn't bother me because I assumed that was like unlocked phones, and I'm used to those. BUT when it arrived...no 3G. (Otherwise, it works fine) Internal Device info says it has WiFi+3G, the SN begins B00F, firmware 5.3.7.3. Model no. is D01200. So it should have 3G, right?
I'm wondering whether the seller had "modified" it. I'm willing to try to put it back together - I used to root my cellphones til they got too smart (I'm great at following directions) - but I don't know where to begin here.
In USB mode, the file directory doesn't look dirty - nothing looks out of line but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

First question is how to tell whether this is a hardware or a software problem. It's possible that there's something less deep that I'm missing. If there's not a setting to tweak somewhere, the next question will be how to apply which fixes I see referred to in this forum...or whether it's hopeless.

I don't want to do anything fancy...no tethering, etc. I just want my 3G back because I like to be independent of WiFi (I used the web browser on my old one all over Europe) At least I didn't pay much - if I just have WiFi, so be it.
But can anyone help (and is this the right place?)
TIA
ExDC is offline   Reply With Quote