View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #64
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Workflow Question - Read, Readling List, etc.?

I've tried to use and love Marvin XD several times. I am beginning to think I'm either missing something conceptually, or just not using it correctly. It feels like I should be able to connect my iPad to Marvin and have things like my Reading List, list of Read books, etc., be synchronized between calibre and Marvin, but somehow it doesn't work that way for me.

For example, I just finished a book last night in Marvin. The book was in my Reading List on the device, so I swiped left, chose Actions, and chose "Mark as Read" and "Remove from reading list". Then, it was time to sync with calibre.

I checked before syncing, and I had 10 items in my Reading List and 55 items in my Read list in Marvin. I connected to calibre, clicked the Marvin XD button, selected all from the dialog and chose "Refresh custom columns". After that finished, I had 12 items in my Reading List (2 books I had read recently re-appeared) and 50 items in my Read list (obviously, 5 items I had read disappeared from the list).

My expectation is that I should be able to add/remove things from Reading List, Read, and other collections, and have them flow back to Marvin. But what seems to happen is that the flags in calibre are pushed to Marvin.

I'm running calibre v2.12, Marvin XD v1.2.4, iOS Reader Applications v1.4.4, on an iMac running Mavericks. I have custom columns defined in Marvin XD for everything but Annotations. In General Options for Marvin XD, only "Apply temporary markers to duplicate books" is checked, and the debug options are unchecked unless I'm looking at debug logs in a terminal. In iOS Reader Applications, the preferred reader is set to Marvin, booklist caching is disabled, the Marvin tab say to "update metadata" when sending books already in Marvin, and I have custom columns assigned to all 3 fields. Editing of collections in Device view is disabled.

Am I missing something? I have a feeling that it is something in my workflow processes, or some incorrect assumption about how I should flag books in Marvin/calibre.

Thanks for any help or guidance I can get.

h.b.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote