View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
My first nomination is The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. It looks like a fun read and is young adult historical fiction and adventure, although the author wrote 'for children of all ages from nine to ninety'. This is set in Roman Britain and I did hesitate for all of about eight seconds over nominating a book both set in Britain and by an British author for a Roman month as being possibly too divergently on the nose for our tastes with bringing a topic about the Roman Empire towards Britain. But, our tastes are as they will be and I'll leave it to the vote to decide, and anyway this is set in the Roman Empire after all. Goodreads, Preview, 294 pages, 1954, England & Malta

Quote:
Set in Roman Britain this story is of a young Roman officer who sets out to discover the truth behind the mysterious disappearance of the Ninth Legion, who marched into the mists of Northern Britain and never returned.

Last edited by sun surfer; 03-04-2020 at 01:38 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote