Thread: ACeP color eink
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The IBM 7000's were a little before I got started. I first worked with Univacs and RCA computers. Then we got an IBM 158 a few years later. That was my first exposure to IBM computers.

Actually I did one short job while on loan to another department on an IBM 360 mod 60 and in school we learned with some model of IBM but those cards were sent out and we never actually saw that computer. It was off-site somewhere. They sent the cards to it at the end of the day and we got printouts of either the compile or, if that succeeded, the results along with a core dump if the program crashed.

The school had a 360 Mod 8 on site if I remember correctly but we only used that a little bit. It was a stove size computer with 8k RAM and a 10 meg hard drive.

Most of my early work was on Univacs and RCA. The RCA we had was the first computer to use virtual memory and our boss was a former RCA programmer and the designer of that OS. We learned a lot from him. He's probably the main reason I got into systems programming.

Barry

Barry
Ah, I remember well the evenings and weekends spent in the card punch rooms reworking programs.

And woe be he (or her) who spilled their deck of cards on the floor. We had a lot of tricks to make it easier to put the decks back together but it was best to avoid the problem.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote