View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #50
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Something in the Air is the 20th in the John Putnam Thatcher series by Emma Lathen. It is a US Kindle Countdown deal at $0.99 for about 1/2 more day, before going up to $1.99 for an unknown amount of time. These ebook editions of Lathen's titles are sort of weird, including that the blurb starts out with "ePub version", which is clearly not the case on Kindle US. If you want to see more, this was discussed when these editions first started appearing in the "Books you gave up on ever being ebooks" thread (link) - just search on "Lathen". At very first glance, this one looks a little better than the early ones, though, although the "editor" of these editions makes him- or her-self much more visible up front than I like to see an editor. In any case, though, a classic series...and one of my favorite series of all time, especially since I started reading these while I was in business school, and it seemed like every time we covered a topic from letters of credit to franchising to deregulation, there was a relevant title in this series.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Something-Air...dp/B01N4EDW4U/

blurb from the weird ebook edition:
Spoiler:
ePub version. A discount airlines is considering going from a profitable commuter line to a major coast to coast airline, taking on the big guys. An internal fight breaks out, the Sloan is involved through a loan, and stock in a trust they manage, so John Putnam must get involved with his henchmen, Gabler as auditor and Trinkham as insighter. Great fun, deals with many pieties, so a must read.

much better blurb from Publishers Weekly:
Spoiler:
Quote:
The latest mystery to feature John Thatcher of New York's Sloan Guaranty Trust is set mainly in Boston, headquarters of the commuter airline Sparrow Flyways. A product of airline deregulation, Sparrow is a nonunion operation surviving on horizontal management and project development teams. Mitchell Scovil, CEO and guiding figure of the founders, dreams of expansion, but a group of lower-level employees (and shareholders) is worried about their investment. When their arrogant spokesperson is murdered, the Sloan, holding 20% of unsalable Sparrow stock in a trust, becomes involved. While the redoubtable Everett Gabler examines the airlines books, Thatcher meets the various suspects, including a former partner now in line for the presidency at a large rival carrier, two other founders still at Sparrow and the energetic young woman who spearheads the employees' group. With characteristic humor (an employees' work stoppage backfires, tying up the entire Northeast corridor over Thanksgiving weekend) and in a clearly conveyed business context of takeovers and proxy fights, the pseudonymous authors, in their 21st mystery, can still keep readers guessing until the last pages. John Thatcher is as perceptive and charming as ever. Mystery Guild main selection, Literary Guild and Doubleday Book Club alternates.
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Last edited by sufue; 01-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote