Thread: Tethering
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post
Has anyone tried to tether the Fire to a smartphone for those times that WiFi isn't available?

Just curious, it's not a deal breaker for me, just a curiosity thing.

Phones that are Wi-Fi hotspot enabled should work with the Fire. Just like any other Wi-Fi hotspot.

Here is some information that may come in handy. It is from a MobileRead forum member who was trying to use an iPhone 4 as mobile hotspot with their Entourage Pocket Edge which is an Android based tablet. They got it to work without any rooting (jailbreaking) their phone or the Android tablet.

I am posting this via being tethered to my iPhone. You are not going to believe what the problem was --appostrophes; as in my phone's name being Dee's iPhone. I had this niggling feeling they might have been screwing something up, but it wasn't until I read the link above about ad-hoc networks and it said right there in black and white, "apostrophes may render the network unreadable." I renamed my iPhonee and BANG! got in. I still had to do some tweeking, like reset the PE and turn my hotspot on and off before I made a real connection.

This is from another Pocket Edge owner who successfully tethered their Android tablet to an Android smart phone:

Just to let folks know the PE establishes wifi connection just fine with phones that are wifi hotspot enabled. Nexus S comes to mind. Anyone else have experience with this?

So yes, it should be possible.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 02:06 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote