View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could do font subsetting and forget the obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
I've read some technical posts about font obfuscation, but I'm not sure where to insert this into a workflow where required, and more importantly, if I have to touch fonts at all or just include them to be handled by the relevant poblishing system.
I'd do it at the very end, if ever.

But as was mentioned above, subsetting the fonts should be okay. This will remove all unused characters, minimizing the filesize while making it foolish to transfer to other books. This embedded font will also work much better across a variety of readers.

Nowadays, the easiest way to subset is probably through Calibre:

Method #1

If converting from another format, under Look & Feel, there's a checkbox for Subset all embedded fonts.

Method #2

Or in the Calibre Editor, Tools > Subset embedded fonts.

Calibre Editor also lets you easily embed fonts in your EPUB with Tools > Embed referenced fonts. (Although you'll have to already have the correct CSS.)

There are many other tools/methods for embedding/subsetting out there. A lot of this was written about in the great thread:

2019: "Font Best Practices"

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-03-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote