View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #36
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieliser View Post
I'm trying to find a good historical fiction with a love story in it. (not "historical romances"-if there's a picture of a half naked renaissance (sp?) woman on the cover-not my thing)

I'm leaning toward something more along the lines of Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights...

Any suggestions?
After reading through this thread, I have another question about your tastes. Do you like or object to Alternate History? The best of this category take one perturbation in a historical setting, and then write a story based on the resulting conditions (although the "one perturbation" can be a pretty big event.)

These stories can be set in any time period, and depending on the intent of the author can have significant romance included. But the romance is usually second to the alternate history focus. They're usually grouped in the Science Fiction genre.

If this sounds interesting, my favorite series starts with 1632 by Eric Flint (which is available free from the Baen Free Library). Other authors include Harry Turtledove (much less romance, in my opinion) and S.M. Stirling (although his series can get seriously weird, bordering on fantasy instead of SF.)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote