View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
A couple of fantasy recommendations for you.

I've read a couple of pretty good fantasy books in the past month so I thought I would post here to clue in my fellow MobileReaders who might be looking for something to read.

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
I actually found this by just googling something like "good fantasy books" and stumbling across this thread at SFFWorld. It was one of the few that people were recommending that was on the Sony Connect store. I don't usually buy books at hardback prices, but took a chance and this one was worth it. It is a fun, interesting book that keeps you turning pages until the end. It stands alone too, while it could be made into a series it is not necessary for the completion of the story. Heartily recommended even for fourteen bucks.

War God series by David Weber
This was a great trilogy. I found it from someone else recommending David Weber I think on this board and I browsed Baen books and downloaded a couple of freebies. It would be well worth regular paperback prices for the three books, and with paying only $5 total for all three books on Baen, how could you go wrong? The main character is great, likeable and fleshed out. The third book some of the inner monologues go a little long but the action is great throughout the series. I wish there were another three books. Oh yes the RTF format from Baen is perfectly good for the Sony Reader without any conversion at all, so that was convenient. It was the first time I've read David Weber and I will be checking out more of his work now. Anyone have recommendations on another series of his?

Note: From that SFFWorld "best of 2006" link I also purchased Hal Duncan's Vellum from Connect. This book is very... strange. I am about 1/4th of the way through it and I'm still not sure exactly what I'm reading or what the story is. Has anyone else read this? Is the whole book like this? If it stays the same I can't see finishing it or why the same people who recommend a great book like Lies of Locke Lamora would recommend Vellum. Maybe it's just not for me.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 03-03-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote