View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojisube View Post
I have a Pocketbook 302 that I dearly love, but after several years of faithful service, it is starting to have some issues. While I have an Android tablet that I also use for reading, I really like reading on an eInk device. So, I've been looking at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 as a replacement.

Before jumping through the hoops to order from France, I had couple of questions. Mainly, is the version of FBReader on the Lux as customizable as the version you can install on the 302? Also, how does the screen compare between the two?

Thanks.
Exactly my situation also. I loved my old PB302. It is still limping along, but almost dead. I got the Touch Lux 2 to replace it, and it is no where near as well made or well designed. I do not know what has happened at Pocketbook, but I suspect new owners/new engineers. Whatever the reason, they have not kept up the good tradition of the PB302.

I got my TL2 here in Australia (ebay) - which surprised me - I was not that keen on going to France myself.

The FBRreader on the Lux is pretty awful You would not use it. The other (and default) reader is the AdobeViewer, and it is much better.

A lot of the customization features of the PB302 are gone. The Lux 2 is more and more like a Kindle (not as bad yet, just as well) - some customization, but not as much as you would like.

The physical button layout is pretty ordinary. I suspect is was designed by a person who never read a book in his life. The layout is totally wrong.

The touch screen is not as good as the PB302. You cannot swipe the Lux - you can only tap regions to change pages. This is ok, but the screen is very sensitive - you get a lot of false triggers (technically you can swipe to change pages, but it does not work).

The front light is good though. And it is also a lot faster - that is nice. You can now search for a title, whereas the PB302 was simply too slow to allow that. I think the screen is nicer on the Lux - mainly because of the frontlight, I suspect. One big problem is that you have to setup your reader every single time you open a new book - the system does not remember your settings. This is totally annoying as I setup my own font size and margins - and I seem to be doing it all the time!

I was very disappointed with the unit after the PB302. I had hoped for something better - after all, they have had 4 years to fine tune things. But then again -what else is better? No other reader that I know of uses a folder structure like the Pocketbooks, and that is a huge benefit. I have used Kobo Aura HDs and Kindles (the older models) and I still think the Lux 2 is the better unit overall. But not by much. There is also no support anymore - when I got the PB302 I could pick from several themes - with the Lux 2 there is basically nothing. I did find one slightly different them, but it is hardly worth the effort.

I get the feeling Pocketbook is withdrawing from the ebook reader market in the West. It is a shame as I thought they were on a winner with the PB302.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote