View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #52
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
There seem to be two schools (or maybe 2.5) here.

One says, "Focus like a laser on your principal task, reading books." This school would see my jetBook (which isn't eInk, by the way) or the Sony 300/505 as the exemplars of ideal ebooks.

Features added to those which enhance ebook reading would be good to have (school 1.5?), but nothing else. Thesauri, better indexing and searching, book folder management, etc. are probably acceptable to this school. I know the jetBook could use internal hyperlink support, so you could have a TOC, etc., and more than two lousy fonts. OTOH, I have more dictionaries on the jetBook than you'd ever need.

The argument for this is that it maximizes the amount of the development and marketing budget spent on the core features, and minimizes extraneous effort by the finite staff, allowing them to concentrate on making the ebook reading experience better. And no, I don't think anyone's going to successfully make an open-source ebook reader any time soon. Sorry, inkpot.

The second school wants to push the large screen ereader towards convergence. After all, PDAs, music players, ebook readers, phones, and clocks/watches have all converged into a single device. There's one over there (pointing). The exemplar of this device may be one of the big screen smartphones just coming out, or perhaps the HP iPAQ211.

I must admit, I think for the forseeable future, school 1 (or 1.5) is probably right. In the farther future, convergence will probably win.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote