View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #18
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue
whatsacubit began at the beginning.

Device: Hacked Nook Touch - Android 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
My understanding is that the hardware limits it so that it cannot support an Android version any newer than 4.4.4.
My understanding is that there is a SPECIFIC version of Android with gobs of crap chopped out of it that energy efficient E-ink devices don't need. All of these revolve around Android 4.x. I'm not sure which version of Android 4.x you get makes a whole lot of difference. For example, one older E-ink device supported encryption (public library ebooks), but the new one doesn't. One newer device pasted the bit for bluetooth back in because it needed it, but the older device which didn't have bluetooth obviously didn't need it.

I believe the Android 6.x device uses a standard version of Android. As such, if it hasn't been whittled down for E-ink devices or for a special battery saving processor, it will probably suck up battery life through a straw like a toddler with their first cup of root beer. Don't quote me on that bit either, but if there was a new version of Android for E-ink devices, the entire industry would doubtless be using it. The actual E-ink website may elaborate, but since Android choked their own necks by locking down the SD card for independent app usage, I just don't care which version it is any more.
whatsacubit is offline   Reply With Quote