View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue
whatsacubit began at the beginning.

Device: Hacked Nook Touch - Android 1.5
Greetings! I am searching for the EXACT same device! I probably have an account on here that's ancient, but whatever, I just made a new one. There is a disturbing LACK of current information on these devices. I want one to side-load offline dictionaries, Wikipedia offline, recipes, flash cards and etc.

</rant on>
I hate PDF's to begin with, so that's not much an issue for me. PDF files have been plagued for decades. There's no way to tell before opening one if it's images only, or searchable text. Sometimes the text doesn't search correctly, or at all. Good luck copying text, sometime when you paste it, it looks like someone shot your paragraph out of a shotgun. Re-pagination is screwy, and frequently chokes completely. Almost every printer on the planet has a special Adobe print driver built in, because they NEVER print correctly on their own. They've been this way for decades, Adobe / Apple should have pulled the plug on the project eons ago and apologized and started over. NOPE! Let's just keep mucking along and make an even bigger mess of it. Um.. what do you mean it can transmit viruses??
</rant off>

So, the current generation of devices is more than capable to be able to handle the workload, but there is a SERIOUS amount of confusion about the devices. My best research shows that there are two separate manufacturers in China creating android e-Ink devices. They have a dubious history on English versioning. A reseller in Poland was reselling them, adding a splattering of Polish versions that weren't natively English. The Polish company got in trouble with one of the manufacturers and was told to stop selling their devices and pull their website. Oh, and they tend to keep the same model name, and add to the end of it. So for example, one of the current devices is named the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2+ The other one is named the inkBOOK Prime. BangGood is (obviously) a Chinese online retailer. Their devices may or may not be 100% English. On Amazon, one of the devices was originally listed by some no-name third party reseller. Also on Amazon, the inkBook Prime has the advertising blurb for the inkBOOK -CLASSIC- listed.

As I said, a full measure of confusion.

I don't blame the manufacturers for this. I blame the eReader community and websites for not keeping tabs on the newest devices for people. The newest product matrices are from 2006-2008, for God sakes. Wikipedia is even sorely out of date.

So, of the two devices, the main differences are things like bluetooth support, automatic sleep mode, stuff like that. I may actually back up to an older model, because I would rather have months of battery life than an HD screen and quad core processor to read books. I believe the industry already passed by the ideal device. There was a 1ghz processor created to minimize battery use. Nobody ever had an issue with the resolution of the 212 pixel per inch devices. Some of the older devices had 3000mAh, I'm seeing 1700 on other devices. I've seen vague references claiming that manufacturers are 'racing to the bottom' to try to build the crappiest cheapest device that might explain this. However, these two manufacturers appear to have a steady stream of updated devices, I don't believe that that is the issue here.

Again, I blame the community and websites for this gaping hole of missing information. I haven't decided which device I want, let alone precisely determined which model I want. I think the safest bet is to order through Amazon and count on their return policy if you hate the device. Either that or find a device ~$30 on ebay and take a crap shoot that it functions correctly and is 100% English. I am about to start tracking down precise device stats myself, and going from there. I'm not looking forward to going 'down the rabbit hole' but I can't find any other options for accurately determining the actual stats on these devices.

EDIT: I would love someone to prove me wrong and point me to current information or other current 6 inch android E-ink devices.

Last edited by whatsacubit; 02-10-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typos
whatsacubit is offline   Reply With Quote