View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have a Kepler Pro that has 1 gb of RAM and 16 gb of internal storage. It runs Android 4.0.4. The eReader Store is working on a 4.4 upgrade,but it's not quite ready for prime time yet.

I like the K-Pro quite a bit. Android 4.0.4 is rather old, of course, but many apps still support it. Check to see if the apps you want to run are compatible with 4.0.4. NeoReader 2.0 does a nice job with ePub. You can always install other reading apps, like AlReader.

My understanding is that the hardware limits it so that it cannot support an Android version any newer than 4.4.4.

The most recent Onyx devices - the Max 2, that is already available, and the Note, that may be available by March) run Android 6.0, but these devices are much larger than you want, and much more expensive. I have seen no word yet on whether or not Onyx will offer a smaller eInk device that runs 6.0.

As of now, we don't have an Android eInk reader which is in the 6 or 7 inch range that runs anything newer than 4.2.2 (stock). Boyue's readers have 4.2.2. I have had the Boyue T63 and the Onyx Kepler Pro. I'd take the Kepler Pro as the better of the two, even with 4.0.4.

Edit: Oops - I forgot my Nook Glowlight 3! It runs on Android 4.4, but it does not have an sd card. So, you wouldn't be interested. It does offer 8 gb of internal storage, of which about 6 gb is available to the user.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote