Thread: iPad ePub transfer Question
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
I thought the whole purpose of Sony converting to ePub was that it is universally recognized. If Sony did drm their ePub why did they bother changing formats anyway? All it did for me was brick my reader.
Thank goodness for the Kindle.
Sony converted to Adobe's DRM (ADEPT) which, while still proprietary, is shared by the vast majority of eReading devices on the market. Sadly it's not universal as some companies insist on using their own alternate DRM. The two key offenders now are:
  • Amazon with the Kindle
  • Apple with their Fairplay DRM
The iPad can also read Kindle DRM books with the appropriate app, but at present has no app to read Adobe ADEPT DRM.

The Kindle can only read DRM books in its own format.

If you look at the Supported DRM formats in the eReader matrix here at MobileRead you'll see that virtually every device there supports the Adobe ADEPT DRM.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote