View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 AM   #18
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For my curiosity, why? Does the device not do what it is supposed to do? Are the things you are talking about actually going to make the device better at what it is designed to do? What it is sold to do?
I am only positive about Kobo, they deserve a lot of respect for using Linux as a base. However is see a lot of room for improvement. There is no firewall and the kernel is outdated on most devices, and they are not patching it afaict. The packages are updated in every new FW release which is good.

Its an e-reader designed for displaying books which it does. Can it be better? I think KOReader has proven that it can be.

Does a patched kernel make it a better device ? I think it does when it supports multitouch and has a simple firewall. Encryption will make it slower, and is only feasible for the book partition.

To sum it all up, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
A lot...
Thanks, that was helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by desterly View Post
Think i figured it out.... need to setup a dev environment to test with but sheesh.. this is a mess.......
Thanks, that was even more helpful

Just out of curiosity, how much work would it be to port the latest kernel ?
Would the effort be worth it ?

Last edited by BloodRagg; 05-16-2019 at 01:59 AM.
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote