View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #44
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
The discussion thread is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I, too, really enjoyed The Woman in White and The Moonstone. Not only is the perspective a little different in these books, but the whole structure, indeed, sometimes even the sentence structure, is unusual to a modern eye (Collins sometimes gets a bit adventurous with his punctuation). I think it was for this reason I didn't find the books particularly fast reads, but I was very impressed with how he made each narrator seem real and individual.
Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to the book and it'll be my first Collins. The read seems like it could take some time but that's one of the psychological advantages of ebooks for me- my kindle has the same heft no matter the length of the book so once I'm in a story it's easier to forget about how much more there is to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I came up with a rating system that evaluates different characteristics to help me further remember. For example, I have settled on rating plot, character, writing, pacing, enjoyability and insightfulness. It is making me pause and reflect on a book that Ive read rather than just moving on to the next item.
That's a good idea Bookworm_Girl. I wonder if it could even be transferred to the book club setting where we could give our opinions on various aspects of the monthly selections.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote