View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Geez, I walk away for a bit .... and nobody bothered to tell about the town meating

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Cue the hordes of people screaming "USB OTG" in three, two, one, ... .

Another old topic would be multi-touch on some older devices, too.
Ordered one today, that would be nice for all those device without an sd card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
So question: Does Kobo actually update or patch their kernels for either newer versions of drivers or security fixes, or is it using an ancient kernel released years ago? I looked on their github account, but the kernel stuff hasn't been touched in years. Part of me is tempted to see if I can compile some of those missing driver modules, although if I was to go that far, I'd like to see if I could use a more recent version (or the final version) of whatever kernel branch they're using.
Only if they are forced to do so, mine came with 2.6.18, its on 2.6.35.3 now.
My guess they stop once its stable, no security patches afaict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
They (rarely) update the kernels. No meaningful version bumps, ever, though (i.e., they stick to the FreeScale/NXP release for the matching SoC). And the sources currently available often match what was released at the time, and not what's currently shipped.
NXP has no obligation and Kobo says, well we order from NXP. Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I wonder which companies that sell devices based on Linux regularly update their kernels. Android runs on Linux; anyone know if Google updates the kernel? In the business world the old mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" usually applies.
None, you can only come by them if someone is willing to maintain it like GKH offered.
But i guess national security thought it to be a bad idea. "you mean we cant get in anymore?"
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote