View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@davidfor: In all these years I cant recall too many occassions when an update actually made it unsafe to use with calibre. Maybe just default that option to on and popup a warning for each new firmware version, suggesting people upgrade calibre?
It has been a long time since there was a real issue. And I do keep thinking about whether the warning is serving a real purpose. The problem is going to be if we don't have it, and a big change in the firmware happens, it will cause problems.

Maybe the way to go is a warning popup that can set the ignore option. Actually, I sort of feel like maybe more than one option is needed. They would be along the line of:
- Ignore this time.
- Ignore for this firmware version. Or maybe firmware and calibre versions combination.
- Ignore always.

There would need to be a careful explanation of what is going on. It could have a link to a help or FAQ page to explain the options. Or the Kobo forum to suggest looking for the firmware status. And maybe a strong suggestion to upgrade calibre if there is a new version available.

In one way it feels like overkill. But, it also gives flexibility. Of course, whether it will reduce the number of questions like this thread, I don't know.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote