Thread: Ebookwise 1150
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Hi Nick, Salut Michel!

To Nick: nice to meet you here again; I admit that I have Mobi2Imp installed on my systems, but since I seldom use it (I mostly use my EBW1150 for English texts in rtf or html source format), I did not think it could be useful for converting the very many Ebooks Libres & Gratuits ebooks to the IMP format.
Mobi2IMP is most useful when used on properly formatted .prc/.mobi ebooks as created here by HarryT or others that follow his ebook tutorial when making Mobipocket ebooks. Those that use BookDesigner only, tend to leave out the ebook metadata like Author and/or Category. Several years ago I was a BIG fan of ebooksfrance.com! It had the BEST utilities/dictionaries for the .rb (Rocket eBook/REB100) format. Alas, it is now "gone" and cannot even be retrieved by the WayBackMachine at www.archive.org. I recently found http://ebooksgratuits.free.fr/ebooksfrance/ and am glad some of those ebooksfrance ebooks have been "saved"! Do you know Philippe Rigaux, the author of Lit2sb.pl?

Quote:
In his long message above, Coolmicro explains what follows (quoting):
---
Tout est OK au niveau de l'ebook IMP obtenu, sauf un petit point: il y a une page blanche intercalée entre les 3 pages du début, qui correspondent au code - hr width="0" style="page-break-before: always;" - que j'insère pour provoquer des sauts de page dans le format Mobipocket.
---
In short, after conversion, blank pages are inserted between the three first pages, and the code involved would be, according to michel, "- hr width="0" style="page-break-before: always;" -"

Though the problem is merely cosmetic, do you think there could be a kludge for this?
The blank pages arise for various reasons and Mobi2IMP does "try" to catch them but sometimes non standard or different coding styles can "interfere" with the detection of same. If you can post a page worth of HTML code around to spot where these 3 page breaks appear, I can analyze it better. My guess is that before this point, there could be an image/picture that is too tall and makes the < hr > spill over to the next page which already has a 'page-break-before' tag that causes another physical page-break. Then it could be followed by a HTML tag with a CSS sytle that may also have in it a 'page-break-before'. Just guessing...

The Perl source code for Mobi2impl.pl has many text substitutions that "fix" problems so it would be easy to add the "fix" we find for the above problem.

Quote:
Apparently, Michel is too modest about his English; nevertheless, I could stand in between as an interpret, and maybe Zelda could also.
That would be OK! I currently use Babelfish to translate French for me to read, but it is harder to get it to translate what I want to say into French. I've only had grade school French teachings, but can understand a bit of spoken French and can also reply with limited phrases. I'm of Italian descent, but a first generation Canadian (my parents emmigrated from Sicily almost 50 years ago and "landed" in Toronto, Canada -- where I was born.) I write and speak Italian (and it's sicilian dialect) a bit better than French, but no way near as "proficient" as (Canadian/UK) English!

Quote:
To Michel: De manière native, la mémoire de l'eBookwise est faible, de l'ordre de 8Mo je crois. La machine que tu as reçue possède une carte interchangeable de 64 Mo au formet SmartMedia. Tu peux y mettre sans crainte une bonne centaine de livres! Tu peux également en posséder plusieurs, mais l'utilité n'est pas flagrante: la quantité de livres ou de nouvelles qu'on peut y faire tenir est surprenante..
The new 64MB internal memory EBW1150 model has no SM card, but maybe you can find a small 8MB or 16MB card and one of those 20-in-one PC card readers that handle the SM/SMC format. The 32MB/64MB/128MB SM cards are more expensive so if you can get the smaller card for a good price try doing so. Please note that what is in the internal memory cannot be "seen" when the SM card is inserted and there is no may to transfer any internal memory ebooks to the SM card or PC. The REB1100 (predecessor to the EBW1150) does have programs to do this transfer, but nothing exists for the EBW1150.

Quote:
Attention: ne jamais enlever ou insérer la carte appareil sous tension! Et en cas d'échange de carte (hors tension), il est conseillé de rallumer l'appareil après avoir enlevé la carte n° 1, de le rallumer ouis de l'éteindre, d'insérer la carte n° 2 et de rallumer. Même chose pour passer de la carte n° 2 à la carte n° 1.
By the way, zelda_pinwheel has shown me some French dictionaries in Mobipocket format that use high compression (HuffDic). I have a version of mobi2imp that handles HuffDic decompression using mobi2oeb (from Calibre) and a hacked mobi2imp. BUT, it is probably bettter just to decompress the .prc first to html and then use eBook Publisher on the extracted .html AFTER it has been "cleaned up". I don't mind helping with the initial HuffDic decompressions; ask zelda_pinwheel which dictionaries have already been converted this way...

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-05-2009 at 02:53 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote