View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
TactileObjects
TactileObjects began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite Question, possible to change "paper" look?

Hello, smart people. This is my first post here, so I hope my question is appropriate here.

I just got the Kindle Paperwhite and am investigating to see if any little adjustments can be made to make it a more enjoyable reading experience. (Still not quite there.)

I realized that one reason I don't think the Kindle experience is as good as a real book is the starkness of the Kindle look. A real book of course has a subtle texture to the pages. You don't consciously notice it, but I believe it adds to the experience. The Paperwhite on the otherhand has this blank, featureless void behind the text.

Is there any clever way of changing the background behind a book's pages to have a subtle "texture?" I note that there are times when the PW displays the ability to do this. For example: (1) In standby mode, when they feature a book ad, there is a cool "canvas" type of background behind the book. (Although the whole ad might just be a jpeg.) (2) On the home screen there is a narrow bar on the bottom advertising a book. (This is below the bigger bar that features the ads for several different books.) Intermittently this narrow bar has a "stippled" look to it, with lots of dots. Weirdly, this pattern only shows up sometimes. (3) Finally, when I first started up the PW, there was a screen that had kind of faux shading around the edges. You can see a screenshot here:

Thanks for indulging me. Is there any way to mimic any of these looks for book pages? I do think my eyes would find it easier to follow the words if there was some texture or "points of reference"/context to the background.
TactileObjects is offline   Reply With Quote