View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Smile Poet
Smile Poet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Greetings all. I have just joined, and will introduce myself fully another time.

However, Worldwalker just caught my eye with his comment on registration 'This is similar for most countries.'

So far as I am aware, the US is the only country with a registration process, and most certainly the only country that inhibits pursuing breach in the courts with that process. As the Convention quote above shows, this requirement is in breach of Berne.

Proving ownership of copyright is another matter, of course, and much more difficult in a digital age. In the UK, where we have absolutely no registration process, I have come across only very rare challenges over copyright ownership.

There are big issues, on the other hand, with the threat to rights from actions by Google, in particular. The dangerous Book Agreement is still sitting in the New York Federal court in the US waiting for someone to have the courage to confirm, amend or reject it. Our problem is the fact so many in copyright books have been scanned without the permission of rights holders, and are held on servers.

The completely international nature of the Web means the Agreement is of concern in every country.
Smile Poet is offline   Reply With Quote