View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio blum View Post
I failed to say that the conversions I am trying to do are from CHM to EPUB. The CHM contains body text and examples of ActionScript code.
Any book of code often uses <pre> tags to ensure that the code is viewable exactly as required for a given language.

Quote:
But again, is it no possible to manually remove <pre> tags manually? Why is that?
It is possible, even easy, but your code examples will be jumbled by epubs attempt to reflow the text.

Quote:
I also read somewhere a suggestion to convert <pre> tags into <p> tags. Does this mean just substitue <p for <pre in the XHTML? I did this and the individual lines of code text all bunched up in a single paragraph. Or must it be done in tandem with other changes?
That is why there are <pre> tags so the code remains correctly laid out.

Quote:
Am I expressisng myself clearly? Is there any info I left out? I just want — at the very least — have the code text converted into body text. The best would be to be able to specify different font sizes for body text and code text.
Yes, you are expressing yourself clearly the only problem is the type of book. ldolse and I were both referring to recreational novels and not a book of code.

Any attempt to remove the <pre> tags for this book may compromise the correctness of your code examples. You could try enclosing each line of code with a <p> </p> tags then removing the <pre> tags. This will minimize the jumble but not prevent it entirely.

I have limited experience, but if you want this book as a reflowable epub then you should buy it in that format. Otherwise resign yourself to reading it with <pre> tags in place and using either landscape mode on your reader to gain more space to view it or read it on a computer with the ability to have a wide enough (or scrollable) viewing area to read the code as written.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-10-2010 at 03:34 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote