View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I tried with your image and it works as expected for me.

Did you look for the image in the HDImages folder?
That prodded me to use KindleUnpack rather then Calibre's viewer to extract the files.

And you're right: in the unpacked files the map is named as a jpeg, but is actually a gif 6 bytes larger than the source. (Using IrfanView to get the specs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I did a test using kindlegen(Windows) V2.9 build 1029-0897292 with an EPUB containing a 3MB 1800x2681 GIF image. The resulting MOBI has it converted to a 3MB JPEG, still at 1800x2861 resolution.
-- I think you'll find that is also really a GIF.

So, sorry about that. I had the habit of using Calibre's ebook viewer to check out conversions, but it seems my assumption that it just unpacked and then viewed the file was wrong.

The reason I was checking this out is that the AZW was rather smaller than the epub, when it's usually the other way.

So I looked at the other unpacked AZW images, and found that while the gif was the same, for some jpegs compression had been changed.
e.g.
In the ePub -- 87 kB, quality 98
in the AZW -- 42 kB, quality 80.

The cover image though was the same spec, same size, quality still 98.

So, unless I've made another dumb assumption, it looks like Kindlegen does leave GIFs as-is, and (always?) cover images, but other jpegs may recompress.
And I found earlier that PNGs are converted to either GIFs or JPEGs, which is why I started to use GIFs rather than PNG for most diagrams and maps to keep them sharp.

Last edited by AlanHK; 04-13-2018 at 11:10 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote