View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm going to wait until at least the November updates are in hand, but at this point I don't think I'll be getting an HDX.

I prefer a more neutral tablet experience rather than one that is focussed on media consumption (specifically Amazon's). That's despite the fact that I don't consume much media from anyone else.

For one thing, I want easier access to apps and services that Amazon does not allow Fire users to partake of, even though they are listed in the Appstore (Dropbox, Mantano Reader, alternate browsers). I realize it is not difficult to side load these (and many more) things, having been through this with my (little used) 1st gen Fire, but I don't like having to do it because of Amazon's arbitrary (and unstated) policy.

Without any physical 'output ports' (HDMI or USB host) it's not as flexible as other tablets. Has anyone here actually used the Miracast feature? The 'fling' feature requires a compatible device, and I don't have plans to get any of the ones listed. Meanwhile Nexus7 and iPads have both wireless and wired options.

aGPS is on the 4G model but without mapping software (almost for sure there's nothing very good available in Appstore) what good is it? Most iOS and midrange Android devices have this as a matter of course.

The HDX has some great core features and specs but I think a Nexus7 or iPad probably are a better match to my desire for a more open ended and flexible tablet experience.
Precisely why I went with a Nexus 7.2. I won't use it for media much, I've got an iPad for media and a Paperwhite 2 for reading. But I do need the USB host feature so I can hook it up to my Canon 60D dSLR.