View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #946
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I really wish there were an updated or new audio book plug-in. I honestly do NOT want to copy my Audible files into Calibre, but I'd very much like a way to link them to my matching eBooks. I can add them through Add Books, Add files to selected book records, but that copies the Audible (or MP3) book into Calibre, and with the size of my audio book library, that is less than satisfactory. What I'd prefer is a simple link to the audio book file(s). With WhisperSync becoming widely available for many Amazon books, having a way to link in the audio side of the WhisperSync'd book would be a real plus.
In the meantime perhaps you could use one of these:
  • On Windows you could create a shortcut (.LNK file) to the audio file and add it to the matching book. The advantage of this method is that the Windows Distributed Link Tracking (DLT) service will attempt repair .LNK files if the target is relocated, on later versions of Windows it's normally successful.
  • The above might also work on OSX using ALIAS files, I don't know if OSX has an equivalent to the Windows DLT service.
  • A more general way would be to insert a file URI link into a custom long text column, but if you move or rename the folder the link will break. The long text (comments) editor has a tool to facilitate easy creation of file URIs.
By creating empty books, the above methods could also be used for books where you only have the audio version.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2016 at 04:20 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote