View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnraisedArc View Post
Hey myle,

I have access to abbyy Finereader 9 (ocr software) and Adobe professional through my school. Not sure if that is the commercial ocr software you use, but if it is I would really like that code as I also have upwards of 7000 books and sometimes find myself lost trying to find the book I'm looking for.

Ps Just found calibre, and the more I use it, the better I like it!
I use abbyy. I tried out most OCR programs and this seems the most stable. For example OmniPage crashes if the total number of pages is large while on my pc abbyy can do at one go 6000-9000 pages. What you should do is create an automated task which takes a folder and converts its files to text. You'll have to experiment on your computer to see how many pages it can do at once. Since abbyy doesn't have a command line, that will be the only manual step. For example it took for me almost a week to OCR all my files. If one batch is 6000 pages you'd have to run 24 batches for 7000 files - using only the first 20 pages of each file.

I have an exam on Tuesday and I want to tidy up the code with comments and such so I should be able to post it on Wednesday.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote