View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Bypassing Kindle battery check

If you can still boot to a root prompt on the Kindle, it turns out that the battery check can be bypassed in the software instead of hardware. Posting a comment I made on Neil's blog here for posterity in case anyone else is searching:

It turns out that /etc/rc2.d/S50battcheck offers all sorts of possibilities for skipping the battery check. I elected to simply change the two lines reading "_SKIP_CHECK=0" to "_SKIP_CHECK=1" - worked a treat.

Here is some partial output from /var/local/log/really_long_name.gz before the change when starting with a dead battery:

Code:
init: Entering runlevel: 2
system: I S50battcheck:def:running
system: I S50battcheck:def:current voltage = 3738mV
system: I S50battcheck:def:gasgauge capacity=2% volts=3794 mV current=179 mA
system: W S50battcheck:def:battery low. Not booting
system: I S50battcheck:def:current voltage = 3882mV
system: I S50battcheck:def:gasgauge capacity=4% volts=3864 mV current=363 mA
system: I S50battcheck:def:battery sufficient, booting to normal runlevel
init: Switching to runlevel: 5
and here is the output after editing /etc/rc2.d/S50battcheck as described above and rebooting:

Code:
init: Entering runlevel: 2
system: I S50battcheck:def:running
system: I S50battcheck:def:skipping battery check
init: Switching to runlevel: 5
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote