View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have created a github repository here: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/calibre-installer which contains an updated calibre-upgrade.sh as well as a script à la calibre's installer, which allows for a one-liner installation of the upgrade script. (Was that statement confusing enough? )

Run the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://github.com/eli-schwartz/calibre-installer/raw/master/linux/calibre-installer.sh | sudo sh -
It will:
  1. Download calibre-upgrade.sh to /usr/bin/calibre-upgrade.sh
  2. chmod it so it is executable.
  3. Add the cron job to root's crontab. (If cron is not installed*, this step will fail and report that to you.)

If anyone has any improvement suggestions, I'd be delighted to hear them.

* Because on my system it isn't -- who knew? Apparently, systemd is the wave of the future, and Arch Linux wants you to use systemd timers instead of crontabs. When I get around to it (or rather, figure out how they work ), I may write one of these timers. Meanwhile, if you are on Arch too, you can manually install a cron daemon or write your own stinking timer. (If anyone does, please share. </beg> )

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-11-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: updated script location
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote